Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Does God work in the circumstance? Fresh Connection Tonight!

I bought the $1 Hot and Spicy chicken sandwich and small fries from McDonalds for lunch.  I sat and ate it along with a glass of water while in my truck enjoying the nice weather. 
 
Across a small grassy stretch was an old homeless looking guy sitting at a concrete table in the adjacent gas station lot.  It turns out the guy and his wife are down from Virginia.  He is 75 years old and named James.  He was quick witted and rapidly began making fun of my name all in good nature.  You know, Archie Bunker, Archie and Jughead and the list goes on. 
 
A name is always important.  It doesn't matter what our life circumstance is, our name is of importance.  In this case it was especially of significance, because God is leading me to pull a first gathering together from a reading of the book of James.   So I'm asking God if I'm doing the right thing at the right time.  He points me to James the book and James the homeless.   So do you think God works in the circumstance?
 
James and I talked about God and the possibility that God was alive and well and cared about us.  I told James I was writing a book and did he ever see God do anything for him.  He studied the question a while and then said, "no."  He said he did recognize God in His creations.  He made the leaves and things.  That was obvious, he said. 
 
I suggested to James that I thought God loved both he and I.  I said I believed in our asking for forgiveness that God might be more more inclined to spend time with us.  He thought so, too.  He had grown up in church and didn't really know why he quit.  I think that a bit of a mystery.  Many people leave the church and don't know why.  I have asked....
 
I prayed with James.  I gave him money and told him Merry Christmas.  He was sincerely appreciative.  I like to think he was more appreciative of me chatting with him as an equal than just the money.  I was blessed.
 
Should I be sad that I couldn't wait to wash my hand after shaking his?  I wonder.....
 
Surf to: http://www.freshc.org for a Fresh Connection...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: