Friday, December 4, 2009

"Service by obligation is not service at all" ~the janitor

The story goes that a little boy was having a birthday and had
expectation of going to Toys 'r Us to shop and enjoy the experience.
His dad was a very busy and successful businessman. The boy asked his
dad if he would take him to the toy store. His dad said, "No. He
would pick up whatever the boy wanted later." The boy didn't give up.
He loved his dad very much. He kept asking for his dad to take him.

Eventually, the dad was wore down and took the boy to the toy store.
As they walked the aisles, the boy looked up into his dad's eyes and
said, "Thank you, dad. Maybe next time you will enjoy it."

I've been thinking about being engulfed with the Spirit and walking
with Jesus as two distinct qualities of my life. In trying to figure
this out, I've discovered that many times in my life I have done
things seemingly for Jesus out of obligation to others. I think many
times I was the dad taking my son to the toy store. I did it out of
obligation.

I am discovering if I walk with Jesus and look at life through His
eyes, I see opportunities to serve out of love, NOT obligation. I may
still find myself in the toy store, but it will because of the love
Christ has for me and my desire to share His love with others. I find
myself enjoying the service instead of enduring the service.

TRUTH: Stop serving from obligation. Serve from love.

Surf to: http://www.freshc.org for a Fresh Connection...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: