Wednesday, November 25, 2009

THE CANCER CONNECTION

Update on my friend with cancer follows. Please pray...

On October 27th, I was diagnosed with mouth cancer; a stage 2
squamous cell carcinoma inside my right cheek. Surgery is scheduled
for Monday, November 30 at which time the surgical team will remove
the tumor, 5 teeth and a portion of my upper and lower jaw. I am
advised to allow at least two weeks before even thinking about
resuming any normal ministry activity. So, I will be out of
commission for a couple of weeks. For those of you who sent your
support check after the 15th, you will be receiving a receipt letter
as you normally would but it will not have any personal comments on
it. Please know that whether there is a note or not, I am very
grateful for your ongoing support of our ministry. It is a blessing
beyond belief.

But God, who is rich in mercy has opened some doors of ministry for me
since the diagnosis. One opportunity was with a 38 year old male,
I'll call "Z". When I visited him in the hospital, upon the request
of his sister, "Z" told me that had been diagnosed with lymphoma and
was facing a chemotherapy treatment plan. As we talked, he broke into
tears when he shared with me the possibility that he would never leave
the hospital. I grabbed his hand and words of encouragement began to
flow from my mouth. He confessed that he had not been in church in
over 20 years, that he had lived a hard life as a truck driver and
just didn't know how God could forgive him. I assured him that
forgiveness was his in Jesus and if he, by faith, would give Jesus his
old life, that Jesus would give him new life in return. A life of
supernatural hope, peace and love that he could experience despite his
serious prognosis. So, on a Monday morning, just before I went for a
CT scan, "Z" gave his life to Christ. Please pray that this
confession will take deep root and that "Z" will be drawn into a
close, personal relationship with Jesus.

I visited another gentleman in the hospital following surgery to
remove a blockage in his small intestine that had caused him a great
deal of discomfort. The surgery went well and he was looking forward
to going home to his family. He was released from the hospital but
later received a pathology report that revealed that he has a very
rare form of intestinal cancer. He is currently undergoing
chemotherapy with additional surgery on the horizon. I shared my
diagnosis with him and all of a sudden, our relationship deepened.
All of a sudden he felt I could understand better. He has always been
cordial during our interactions but now he gladly received prayer and
has sought my counsel on when and how to share this news with his
children, his co-workers and his friends. We talk on a weekly basis
for updates and to encourage each other.

So, here we have an opportunity to experience Romans 8:28 which says:
"For we know that God causes all things to work together for good so
those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." The Lord
is at work. I believe that either He is deepening my faith so I can
more effectively minister and/or He is purifying me. Perhaps there is
some dross on my heart that inhibits the fullness of the Spirit to
work or that keeps me from being an accurate reflection of Christ to
those He puts in my path. Whatever the reason, God knows the outcome.
I have told Peggy this and I may have shared it with you and, if so,
forgive me for repeating myself. "I don't know where this road leads
but I know Who paved it".

If you are prompted to pray for me, please pray for Peggy also. We
are asking that the Lord use this for His glory and for our
strengthening. I would also ask that you pray that the surgery will
be adequate and that no radiation treatment will be necessary.

Your partnership with us in ministry is a gigantic encouragement and
because of your support, I am able to share the love of Christ in the
workpalce with many who have never been to church or have been away
from it for a long time. I don't know how many people have shared
with me that, as a result of my encouragement, they are actively
visiting churches to find one that they can become involved in. You
enable that through your gifts of support. THANK YOU!!! And God
bless you.

To Know Him, To Make Him Known,

Surf to: http://www.freshc.org for a Fresh Connection...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: