Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mike the Homeless Guy - Take Two!


The first thing I noticed about Mike as I sipped my hot coffee in
Starbucks was the sign on his grocery cart that said homeless. It was
good marketing. Easily communicated a message. As I approached him,
I noticed his sunshades, earphones and a single tooth when he smiled.
 
Mike's cart was full of cans. He seemed a bit apprehensive as I
approached or maybe it was I that was apprehensive. I was surprised
at my eagerness to talk to Mike. There was no conversation with God
about obedience. I didn't struggle with the typical, "Why me? God."
There was an eagerness on my part to meet Mike and hear his story.
 
Mike sees God in the simple things. He sees God when he finds a
particularly good stash of cans. He says seeing God is in the simple
things is like being slapped in the face to get his attention. The
simple things remind Mike of God's presence.
 
Even as odd and out of place Mike was picking through the garbage in
front of Starbucks, there was something even more odd. I shook his
hand and it was strong and affirming. The strength of his grip was
not fitting the circumstances of a homeless man picking up cans.
 
Mike blessed me.

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: