Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Time to Pray or Hitchhike


There was a built in weakness in my travel plans. I had only bought
round trip bus tickets between San Antonio, TX and Salinas, CA. I
hoped to make it to my childhood home of Gold Run, CA. It was 5 hours
further north by car. It meant I'd need to rent a car, hitchhike or
sweet talk the bus nazi to stop at a stop that didn't exist or
whatever else I could figure out.
 
I don't have a credit card. I only have a bank debit card and it had
about $80 in it. I hoped that wouldn't be a problem. We got to
Enterprise Rental and they didn't have any cars. They had one truck
that they would rent me for $90 / day and I'd have to take it for two
days. That wasn't going to work. I thought it was time to pray.
 
Fred's stepbrother Robert took us to the next rental place at Hertz.
I didn't have much hope. Typically, Hertz is more expensive than
Enterprise. It was worse than that when the agent explained he didn't
have any cars and had a waiting list.
 
I politely listened and prayed. His attitude softened and he
volunteered that maybe he could find a car. I gave him my bank card
and he said his system couldn't find me. I gave him my driver license
and social security # and he said I didn't exist.
 
Oddly, I am comforted to know I don't exist in the credit industry.
That is probably a good thing. The agent did find a car. Federico
stepped up and put it on his card. Fortunately, he exists so we got a
car and headed for Gold Run.

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: