Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Climbing the Socio-Economic Ladder


I remember in an economics class, the professor said each generation at best will only climb one rung on the socio-economic ladder.  I refused to believe it.  My dreams were big.  I would be the next high techology shooting star.  I would grow stronger and faster than any other company.  I was willing to pay the price.
 
Forty years later, it seems I have wore out the rungs of the ladder.  I've climbed some rungs and seen people at the top.  I've fallen down some rungs and seen people at the bottom.  Today, I wonder if I chose the wrong ladder.  Just because there is a ladder to climb in gaining riches, does it mean you are obligated to step on or "if on" are you obligated to climb?
 
Maybe a better ladder to climb is one that has love as the top rung?  The bottom rung is all about self.  Each step up the ladder is dieing to new selfish ambitions and living a deeper rich life expressing love for others through obedient acts.

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: