Monday, March 22, 2010

"Peter knew about conditioned reflex long before Pavlov and his dog."~priest

I am Pavlov's dog to a certain extent.  There was a scientist named Pavlov in the mid 1800's who figured out the thing we refer to as conditioned reflex.  He noted that a dog salivates when he sees food.  He took it one step further and figured out a dog could be conditioned to salivate when a bell was rung.  

I was recently mistakenly picked up by the police and taken to county jail, where they were kind enough to lock me up for two days and a night.  Since then, when I see a police car my blood pressure rises and I can physically feel a knot in my stomach as my heart begins to race.  I am Pavlov's dog and I don't like it.  

Peter experienced the same phenomenon.  When the rooster crowed three times, he died Christ.  Can you imagine? Denying that you are friends or even associated with the one that is slated to die for you.  But the story doesn't end there for Peter.  

For Peter, everyday the rest of his life, the cock will crow in the morning reminding him of the sin he committed. He became Pavlov's dog.  He became you and I.  He got the pain in his gut and bounding of his heart in his chest.  What was his escape from this hell on earth he stepped into?

For you and I, we need to recognize the value of a conditioned reflex and benefit from it.  I am retraining my reflex when seeing a police car.  Today when the police car pulls alongside, I bless the police officer.  I pray for his safety and integrity.  I pray he will personally encounter God today while he is on watch. Then, I mentally take myself to a place of peace in my memories. A place I remember fondly and a place I'd like to be.

When I do this, I am kicking satan in the teeth and it feels good.  I think Pavlov's dog is one of satan's most successful weapon's against Christians and has the potential to render us impotent in our walk with Christ.  Figure out where Pavlov is dogging you and turn bad into good by the power of God!

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: