Thursday, March 25, 2010

"God is a lot like Ground Hog Day. Each time we relive life, God reveals a little more of Himself."~Jeff

I dropped by McDonalds located inside Walmart and ordered the $1 Breakfast special.  I was promptly presented a hash brown and sausage biscuit.  It is quite the deal.  I sat in the glassed area watching people coming and going.  My seat was a few down from a young man sitting quietly by himself, not eating, just looking.  I tried to size him up as whether he was homeless....

I said, "Excuse me.  Have you had breakfast?  Before he could answer, I asked if he'd like my sausage biscuit? I said I had an extra one."  It was my only one, but it was extra.  ;) He accepted and i passed it to him.  He ate it ever so slowly.  I wondered.  If you eat slow does that mean you are incredibly hungry and you want to savor the experience or does it mean you are not hungry at all and just eating out of obligation.  I don't know.

I chatted about God Spots and how I hoped to write a book one day about people and their encounters with God.  I told him about some of my more memorable God Spots.  I mentioned the time I met a survivor of the Black Hawk Down episode.  I asked him if he had ever seen God do anything.  He thoughtfully said, "Yes.  It is like God is in disguise.  God is doing things, but it is often disguised in everyday life."  I think this is profound and have coined the term, "God in disguise".

It turns out the guy's name is Jeff.  He is a cartoonist.  He is really quite articulate.  We talked about the God in disguise.  We considered that God was much like an onion.  Throughout life, layers of the onion are pealed back and more of God is revealed.  Even with the discover or revelation of each new layer, there is still much of God hidden.  

We talked about John 3:16 and how God's love was revealed through the action of Jesus dying on the cross for each of us and then rising from the dead.  Jeff said he use to have a shirt that said, John 3:16.  He liked it.

We wrapped up the conversation chatting about the movie, "Ground Hog Day".  He said God is a lot like Ground Hog Day.  We continue to relive our past and during each cycle of life God reveals a little more of himself.  At this point the student became the teacher...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: