Sunday, July 5, 2009

What part does intellect play in the conversion experience?

Many have grown up in an intellectual society.  In my life, I have chosen to study many different things.  At the collegiate level, I chose to study physics and apply it to physical phenomenon.  The study was challenging, but easy for me.  I chose to study foreign language, it too was challenging for me, but never easy.  I am very limited in that discipline.  Today, I chose to study God's Word and I never understand it all.  I think my understanding is many times limited by my intellect.
 
I was given a book to read recently that required intellect to comprehend.  The author went into great detail analyzing the Biblical conversion experience. It seems from his perspective, he might be the only one in the world that understand the Christian conversion experience correctly.  His attitude is a popular attitude among individuals birthing new churches today.  I often hear people talking about how wrong the church is and if church would only do "it" this way or that, then God would show up and incredible things would happen.
 
I find myself, analyzing and drawing conclusions just like the other guy.  I am guilty of using my intellect to once again place God in a box.  In answer to my question, "What part does intellect play in the conversion experience?"  I have to say, "very little".  Conversion from being lost to being saved is very simple.  You must be born again.
 
There are likely an infinite number of roads leading to the gate, but there is only one gate and through that gate, there is but one path.   You must be born again and the only one doing the birthing is through Jesus.

http://www.1stchurch.org.  You'll find 37stories there and all my friends.

For more GodSpots - 37stories Enjoy!

No comments: