Saturday, July 11, 2009

How much sin is too much?

I recently read an article by a PHD type discussing homosexuality and
the church. It made me ask the question, "How much sin is too much?"
What I mean by this is at what point in your christian walk does your
sin make you undesirable for the church? Let me put it this way as an
example.
 
Suppose I am a shoplifter and my best friend invites me to church. I
have no intention of stopping shoplifting, but I am thoughtful about
attending church with my friend. I am not against God. I am just not
for God. Am I welcome at church?
 
Now suppose I am a wife beater. No one knows I beat my wife. She is
faithful and keeps her mouth shut. I can get drunk and beat my wife.
Now my golfing buddy keeps asking me to go to church with him. He
says my wife and I will fit in great with his life group. Am I
welcome at church?
 
Well, suppose I am homosexual. Very few people know. Some likely
suspect, but most don't know for sure. My collegue at work invites me
to church. Am I welcome or do I need to quit my homosexual lifestyle
before I come? You know it is an abomination before the eyes of
Christ and all.
 
So if I need to quit my queer lifestyle, does the drunken wife beater
or shoplifter have to quit their lifestyle before they come to church?
 I just want to know how good you have to be before you can come to
church. There is such an emphasis these days on "being the church", I
just wonder if we know whether we are willing to accept the tax
collector across our welcome mat?
 
http://www.1stchurch.org. You'll find 37stories there and all my friends.

For more GodSpots - 37stories Enjoy!

No comments: