Saturday, July 25, 2009

Even Teachers Can Be Doubtful of Smart

In highschool, I took my first biology class and sat at the lab table with cool people the first week.  It wasn't so much that I wanted to be cool, I just liked the people.  They were always doing amuzing things.  Most of time the amusement was tied to future punishment.  But I like the oddball.  It seems the odd is many times more real and honest than the supposed perfection of the pretty people.
 
Anyway, after a week I had to choose.  Follow the fun of odd or follow my passions centered around science.  I moved from the back corner lab table to the front and center lab table with the smart dull people.  I took my 1st test and received my expected 100%.  Biology came easy for me. 
 
To my dismay, my teacher called me to her desk and wanted to know who's test I copied.  Talk about being speechless.  It's true I didn't study, but that didn't mean I cheated.  It just meant some things come easy for me.I was with the "bad" crowd in the back and moved up front for the test.    Cheating seemed a logical conclusion to her. 
 
This teacher turned into a life long mentor and friend.  With her encouragement, I interned at Southwest Research in high school and later was hired as a student scientist, even before I graduated from college.  She is special and recently had the Peggy Carnahan Elementary School named after her.
 
My physics training and professional work on the Cruise Missile program underscores a simple fact: "Drawing conclusion with insufficient information is a risky business..."
 
Thanks for visiting http://37stories.wordpress.com with Archie and all his friends.

For more GodSpots - 37stories Enjoy!

No comments: