Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. I wait each day until 3:00... Janis Joplin

Ever pray for something, believing God is with you in the prayer and it seems He delivers "just enough"?  I've often thought I served the God of just enough.  Not the God of abundance.  I've wondered if my God doesn't own all the cattle on a thousand hills.  Maybe He only rents them or is in partnership with a miserly old fellow.
 
God had promised Abram more children then there were stars in the sky.  Abram believed, but time passed and there were no children.  Sarai got impatient.  Her eyes were on "the now" and not on what the future could be.  The story goes like this...
 
"Sarai, Abram's wife, hadn't yet produced a child. She had an Egyptian maid named Hagar. Sarai said to Abram, "God has not seen fit to let me have a child. Sleep with my maid. Maybe I can get a family from her." Abram agreed to do what Sarai said. So Sarai, Abram's wife, took her Egyptian maid Hagar and gave her to her husband Abram as a wife. Abram had been living ten years in Canaan when this took place. He slept with Hagar and she got pregnant. When Hagar learned she was pregnant, she looked down on her mistress.
 
It seems life demands that I fix things.  There is no wait.  I must fix things now.  So after a quick prayer, I wait a bit.  Not long.  Just long enough for the god of just enough to show up and I sieze whatever he will throws my way.  Then, I am off to fix something else.  Sound familiar?
 
But you know, I am beginning to discover something in my life.  The god of just enough is not the true God.  The true God does own all the cattle on a thousand hills.  The god of just enough steps up and delivers a bogus provision that cuts off the true intended gifts of the one true God.  If you want God's best, you have to prepare a place for Him and wait on Him for delivery of His good and perfect pleasure in your life. 
 
It is tough to wait when the world is crashing down on you.  But, wait you must if you want to walk in God's quiet favor.
 
For more 37stories...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: