Monday, June 8, 2009

Ever wondered where your next meal was coming from?

Tonight I was recording video and streaming it to ustream.tv for later public consumption. During the process I was online chatting with a guy that is starting a church up north. I asked him how his job search was going. He was hoping to get a job that would pay enough to feed his family, while he used his free time to tell others about the love of Jesus.
 
Have you ever wondered where your next meal was coming from? My dad was a pastor of a small mission in the mountains of California. On a good Sunday, we might have 20 folks gather to hear my dad speak. It is easy to understand that poor folks can't give much and if you only have a few giving you get even less. So, there were times we wondered where the next meal was coming from. I can remember my family praying for God's provision and the phone would ring that day for my dad to pilot a "wide load" over the mountain pass. He'd get maybe twenty dollars or so and we would be stock up on beans, potatos and cornbread. It'd be plenty to get us through to the next lean time. It wasn't a bad time. It just was, what it was.
 
Today, the lean times for some can be the need to make a $3,000 house payment or a $900 car payment. Obviously, that is not me but there are those with that kind of lean time. I find it a bit amusing to consider my dad on his knees praying for beans and right next to him might be you on your knees praying that God will make your $3,000 house payment. Both of you are thinking the same thing: "surely God will hear my prayer and provide for my needs".
 
It kinda makes me wonder if God scratches his head...

For more GodSpots - 37stories Enjoy!

No comments: