Thursday, June 11, 2009

The 3 D's: Disappointment, Desperation and Diligence , but love is the greatest of all...

Guest post for a missionary friend that needs a little help from friends of 37stories...
 
 
One thing I've noticed in support raising - during my time overseas and now as well - is people feel that if they can't give big, then they can't give at all. I say over and over how important just $20 is to me, and yet I have the hardest time getting people to give even that. I've already had a few people turn me down when I've asked them to pray about supporting me in ministry in San Antonio. I can't help but feel a little discouraged as my end of month deadline looms a mere 19 days away and I am still far, far below my support needs for just the month, let alone beyond that.
 
And it's had to bite my tongue and not get pushy. I feel if they say no, it's hard for me to go to them and try to explain that they don't have to give big but even small gifts are huge when you have nothing. Maybe I should get over this, but right now I'm trying to work out what the balance is and when to push, and when to leave it alone so as not to lose friends.
 
I am still trusting God, so please, please stop yourself from posting a comment telling me God is in control. I know that He is, and when I talk it out with friends, I start to feel confident again. But as I sit alone now, looking at my needs and (non-existent) budget, and weighing it against the very few people who have said they will help me, I can't help but wonder how, and when, God is going to pour the finances my way and impress upon people that $10 a month really is a big gift, because I will literally not have a cent soon. Yes, I am living with my parents, but let me assure you there is no gravy train there. They have graciously said they will pay my student loan for the month, but that's definitely not going to be an ongoing gesture so I need to find a new way to tell people that giving small is still HUGE and significant!
 
So, if my very sad desperation is weighing on you, and you'd like to give to a full-time missionary to San Antonio, who is working for an amazing and life changing ministry in this city, then please let me know!
 
I will continue to diligently pray for God's provision, and remind myself that He knows each of my needs. If the money doesn't come from the people I have asked, then He will find another way. As hard as it is, I will stand firm on His calling and His timing. Please, please be praying for me!
 
My response to Suzanne was...
37stories said... You know sometimes I just can't help myself. I just have to say it, "God is in control." I'm grinning because of my warped sense of humor, but I do feel your pain. From a human point of view, it is tougher to feel the need to support a missionary in one's home town then in a foreign mission field. I think Jesus even spoke to that issue...
 
I will post your thoughts to 37stories, maybe someone's or a bunch of someone's hearts will be touched.
 
As for the pyramid, that is pretty cool and graphically displays your status. So... Cora and I would like to buy a brick or two. Which ones shall we buy? :)
 
I just had a great idea for the friends and family of 37stories.  Why not start a giving letter/blog effort.  Repost this to all your blogs and email to your list and let's see what happens.  It will be fun and you know it has to be a better deal than getting that million dollar check from Nigeria you have been promised.  Ha! 
 
Suzanne's email address is: Suzanne Westrum [suzanne_westrum@yahoo.com]

For more GodSpots - 37stories Enjoy!

No comments: