Sunday, February 28, 2010

Some questions seem easy... but maybe not.

This post began as a seemingly nonsensical thought as I was enjoying the sun while my wife and sister-in-law went shopping in a high class mall.  Somewhere in my mind developed the thought of placing a confessional booth in place of a kiosk.  I live in a heavily populated Catholic community. Confessional booths would be a natural thing and I like to refer to myself as a priest, so the two just naturally fit.  Or so it seemed.

What happened next was my considering what really happens in a confessional booth and would the visitor get their money's worth?  I know what happens in a traditional relationship between Catholic priest and visitor.  In that setting, the visitor may or may not get what they are paying for.  If I were the priest, I would want my visitors to get all they paid for.  So the question is what would I be marketing and would it be enough for the confessor?

I am in the habit of praying for people.  I even pray that God will forgive them of this and that.  I am now questioning how effective my requests might be?  Does forgiveness by God for other people happen sometimes and yet not others?  I don't know.

And then there is the BIGGEST question of all.  If I can pray for the forgiveness of sins for a person, why can't I pray and have him/her receive salvation?  That happens in the traditional confessional, right?  What is wrong with that line of thinking?  

This is really important before I go and franchise my new line of confessional kiosks...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: