Monday, August 10, 2009

Fill in the blank: When I was young, I was so poor that...

The task of not buying anything for 60 days to save for Africa has reminded me of my poor stories from growing up in the mountains of California.  They went something like this...

I was so poor that ... Brer Rabbit Molasses on beans was considered desert.
I was so poor that ... you didn't wear out tennis shoes.  You just changed out the rubber inner tube liner you picked up from a blown out tire.
I was so poor that ... my dad recommended motor oil in place of Brylcream. 
I was so poor that ... a one dish meal meant exactly that.  There was one dish.
I was so poor that ... I noodled for trout in the stream
I was so poor that ... I swam in the ditch we got drinking water from
I was so poor that ... I thought oranges were Christmas fruit

Thinking about the poor people of Africa I will be visiting, I bet it is easier for them to not buy anything. Likely dieting is a no brainer, also.  I hope to save enough money in the next 58 days to leave something of value behind. 

God bless the poor!
archie

For more GodSpots - 37stories Enjoy!

No comments: