Saturday, April 18, 2009

That was a FOOL thing to do!


Samuel thought so...
 
archiephrased - There was a time when Israel's enemy rallied their forces to fight with so many infantry they looked like sand on the seashore. When the Israelites saw that they were way outnumbered and in deep trouble, they ran for cover, hiding in caves and pits, ravines and brambles and cisterns—wherever. But the king, Saul held his ground, his soldiers still with him but scared to death.
 
King Saul waited seven days (God's appointed time). Samuel failed to show up, and his soldiers were deserting.  So Saul took charge:  He sacrificed the burnt offering without Samuel. No sooner had he done it than Samuel showed up (God's appointed time)! Samuel said, "What on earth are you doing?"
 
Saul answered, "My army was deserting and you hadn't come when you said you would,  So I took things into my own hands, and sacrificed the burnt offering.  I needed to ask for God's help."  That was a fool thing to do," Samuel said to Saul.
 
"If you had kept the appointment that your God commanded, by now God would have set a firm and lasting foundation under your kingly rule over Israel. As it is, your kingly rule is already falling to pieces. God is out looking for your replacement right now. This time he'll do the choosing. When he finds him, he'll appoint him leader of his people. And all because you didn't keep your appointment with God!"
 
In my walk with God, I've noticed a very important and interesting dynamic.  It is unlikely for God to show up early, but most of the time I want him to.  If God would show up before the suffering begins, I wouldn't have to suffer.  Or if God would show up at the first signs of my becoming anxious, I wouldn't have to become impatient.  You see if God would just show up when I ask Him to, I could be a much better person.  Life would seemingly be so much better...
 
But here's the deal.  God hasn't worked that way in my life.  Most of the time, God does not show up at MY appointed time.  God does show up at HIS appointed time.  Unfortunately, I many times act impatiently and take matters in my own hands.  Then, God shows up and points out, "That was a fool thing to do".
 
Seriously, how many blessings have you missed because of your impatientness.  It is impossible to know, but I bet you have missed more blessings than received.  So the answer to enjoying God's pleasure in your life is simple.  WAIT.  When you are totally besieged and you are obviously going to lose the battle, WAIT.  God will not show up at YOUR appointed time.  God will show up at HIS appointed time.  Then, He will kick butt!

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: