Monday, December 13, 2010

Some of the Most Courageous People in the World Live in the Hospital.

This could be your story....

I was doing pretty good for myself and the wife.  We had a good house and great pickup truck.  The kids had grown and lived their own lives.  We had money for vacations and pretty much did what we wanted.  Now I'm woke up every 4 hours at the local Mercy Hospital for the Infirmed.  Life stinks!

Yeah, I know that sounds a bit rude. But have you ever woke up with a four inch needle going a place even angels fear to tread.  I want to tell you it is not fun and neither is it fair.  I think the doctors are just part of a system that thrives on hurting others and then grin as it fills their bank accounts.  

I've got to write quick, because they just gave me another shot for who knows what and likely I'll pass out shortly.  I still don't get it.  I did so much good for the big guy and now this.  What is the deal?  What is he thinking?  Doesn't he know I'm hurting?  Doesn't he know I need help?  Big guy where are you.......? Sigh.

Just about the time I am ready to black out, this guy appears in the room.  Doesn't he know it's not visiting hours.  Just a guy in blue jeans and t-shirt with some message on it about saving the whales.  He says, 'Hello Mike'.  How does he know my name?  Must have read the chart?  "How are you doing?" he says.

I'm thinking, what an idiot!  How does it look like I'm doing?  But I say, "I'm ok."  Looking in his eyes, I see deep pain mixed with unfathomable love.  I don't understand.  How can you see pain and love both from a person's eyes.  They say the eyes are the window to the soul.  I never really cared about a person much less their eyes.  But, this guy was different.

It's as if I had a million questions to ask and yet no voice to communicate.  I stared into his deep seemingly passionate eyes with an empty grin as I drifted off to some deeply medicated place.  Did I just see a blue jeaned guy out of place in my room or was it just part of the drug induced stupor coming on?  I'll probably never know, but someday I hope to have answers....

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: