Sunday, May 9, 2010

Homeless, hopeless and forgotten

I didn't go to church today.

I met Michael today for the 2nd time.  It is interesting that I am beginning to recognize individuals in a homeless community.  It is also interesting that I use to refer to them as bums.  You can find references to bums in previous God Spot posts.  I now think of them in terms of individuals in a homeless community.

Michael is impeccably dressed in clean clothes.  He is concerned about a bit of parfay dripping on his pants.  Michael is a lot like you and I.  The difference is, Michael is homeless.  He carries a bedroll and has no place to go, but is always on the go.  The last time I met Michael, he said the police were looking for him.  I don't know if that is the case or not.  It may just be in his mind and part of the reason for the life he has chosen.

I chatted with Michael and told him about God Spots.  I said it likely, he would be in the book.  I asked if there was anything I could do to make life better for him.  He said, he didn't know what that might be.  I said I'd like to give him hope.  He teared up, but quickly brushed it aside.  I asked if I could pray.  He hesitated then said, "OK" but..... I don't know what else he was thinking.  He just shrugged.  

We chatted about God intervening in our lives.  I shared John 3:16.  He knew the verse well and said he believed in it.  I asked if he ever tried to live homeless but connected to a church fellowship.   He said it didn't work because of the religious dogma.  He preferred interfacing with God on his terms as opposed to someone else's.  I said he was obviously a smart man.

I shared with him that he was a special class of citizen in God's kingdom.  He was homeless and God made special provisions for homeless, widows and orphans.  I think the best gift I could give Michael was hope in the fact that God counted him special.   

Without any suggestion by me, a young lady from It's a Grind coffee shop, gave him a parfay and ice tea.  I was blessed with their generosity.  Another gentleman from India, came over and asked if he could help.  Help was declined.  As he got up to leave, I gave him some money, wished him well and blessed him.   I said I looked forward to our paths crossing again.  He agreed.

As you live life today, pray for God's grace on Michael.  He says he has been homeless for two decades.  I asked if he heard about the new homeless shelter San Antonio has built.  He said shelters were not for him....

Michael is a special class of citizen in God's Kingdom...

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: