Saturday, January 29, 2011

Suffering is Not for Wimps...

Mitzi Hopper Sahawneh 
Yes. I think about the proverb (I think) that says that all things happen to the just and unjust alike. It comes from the fall I believe. If it is God's will, we can avoid illness---- or maybe is that we just do not ask? 

Suffering is a part of our lives, Christian or not. But we know that we are taught about suffering in God's Word. James says it produces perseverance--- which makes me think that we are actually strengthened enduring illnesses. We think of illnesses as BAD but apparently, they actually work good for us. We are told to expect it-- God has taught us in His word to prepare us. 

In talking about physical sickness in particular--- I know that when I get sick to the point that I am bed ridden--- I pray...... ALOT! Many times, I believe God used that sickness to bring me closer to Him in prayer instead of me doing all the other things I would have been doing.

Suffering is a blessing because when it is lifted, we appreciate wellness more. When we take our health for granted (which I realize while I am typing this that God is showing me I need to be thankful to Him right now for my health) can become ungrateful. 

Also, look at what happens when we are sick. We tell others and they pray for us. There is a sense of need for others--- and others 'share in' the illness so to speak. We learn unity.l

When we glorify God in illness--- that is the grace of God at work-- 

So I think illnesses are needed to produce things that cannot be produced otherwise. It is a spiritual reality that does not make sense in the world's way of thinking. We know that our suffering here produces for us a better weight in glory.

This is where faith comes in and the Spirit imparting the truth of God's Word to us--- do we believe this or not? Do we really believe what God says when he says that it is producing a better weight in glory? If we do, then we can endure with at thankful heart and praise to God. 

If we doubt this, then we are left to try to rationalize in the flesh-- hopeless----

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: