Thursday, October 13, 2011

I stopped and chatted with the bearded lady...

Bearded_lady

How far out of the way will you walk to avoid the person that obviously does not fit in?  

There is a bearded lady that frequents the coffee shop that i hang out at. She doesn't seem particularly lonely as she is always talking to imaginary people as she smokes a tiparillo.   Nobody talks to her or him (i am unsure which she may be), but i stopped and asked how she was doing.  I didn't know if she would answer as i was obviously interrupting her conversation, but she found time.

The bearded lady, said she was doing fine but was a little strapped for cash.  She opened her purse and pulled out her coin purse to show me.  It had a dollar and a few coins.  I didn't have any money, so i apologized and said i'd have some money for her the next time.  She was ok with that and continued her conversation.

I have frequently avoided this lady as she is dirty, smells bad and is different.  It occurs to me, possibly the ones needing the most help are those we try to avoid the most.  

Daily i am reminded Jesus abides in me.  i wonder if Jesus is pleased to avoid the dirty, the smelly and the different?

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: