Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'd Rather Rain Fire From Heaven...

In life's journey, I have tried to become more Christ-like.  It is what children of God are called to do.  Sometimes I succeed.  Sometimes I fail.  God in His grace encourages me to keep pressing forward in the adventure to become more like Him.

God provides His Word as a means to determine what it means to become more Christ-like.  It gives instruction on what He likes and what He doesn't like.  It gives examples of how He acts and reacts in different situations.  This provides insight into our own lives and suggest how we should behave.

A struggle I have had over the years is a desire to rain fire down on the adversary or to pray for God's love and blessings on the adversary.  I look at God's prophet who challenged the hundreds of prophets of baal and fire rained down on his adversary at the end of the day.  But then I remember when Jesus' disciples asked if they should call fire down from heaven and Jesus rebuked them.  It has left me confused on how I should pray.

Recently I had a strong desire to call fire down from heaven, but something inside seemed to say I should be praying for love to come down from heaven.  I have to admit, I didn't want to pray love on my adversary.  They didn't deserve it and I felt good to call down fire in judgement.  I thought I had Biblical precedence to back me up.  Admittedly, I understand now how wrong I was.

My confusion has cleared.  It seems calling fire down satisfies the flesh and does nothing for the heart.  It requires judgement on my part and I am not fit to judge.  In stead of becoming more Christ-like, I have tried to become God.  This is obviously dumb at best and disastrous likely.

There is a freshness and new life found when God reveals and we obey.  I've drawn a simple conclusion.  My responsible is to love.  As one of my facebook friends (Allison) has said, there is not us and them.  There is only us.  I am to pray love on us.  

It is in that love, God is glorified and we are blessed.  It is in that love, we are able and promised to live fruitful lives having all our needs met.  God even promises that all things work together for the good of those that love the Lord.  It is all wrapped up in this concept of limitless love.

When love is prayed on your adversary, an amazing thing happens.  I believe God sets boundaries around you personally, much like God puts boundaries around Job.  God allowed satan to do his worst, but with boundaries.  It is within these boundaries that God promises His grace is sufficient and it becomes real in your life.

I have personally experienced God's protective boundaries or hedges and actually seen them in action.  I have read and heard amazing testimony of others where beyond reason, boundaries were set and the evil ones were not allowed to cross.  

When the final chapter is written, God may call fire down from heaven.  He created all and He has authority to judge and execute as He sees fit.   We are to love.

It all starts with love and it ends with love.  May God be Gloried in it all.

Posted via email from Archie's Life Stream

No comments: